Richard Florida in the Wall Street Journal:
Remaking America's sprawling suburbs, with their enormous footprints, shoddy construction, hastily built infrastructure and dying malls, is shaping up to be the biggest urban revitalization challenge of modern times—far larger in scale, scope and cost than the revitalization of our inner cities.
Here are some resources on retrofitting the suburbs for sustainability and livability.
- The Sprawl Repair Manual
- Retrofitting Suburbia: Urban Design Solutions for Redesigning the Suburbs
- Design Charrettes for Sustainable Communities
- Sustainable Urbanism: Urban Design With Nature
- Green Metropolis: Why Living Smaller, Living Closer, and Driving Less are the Keys to Sustainability
- Superbia: 31 Ways to Create Sustainable Neighborhoods